Senior Manager, Design and Construction - CanadaToronto, Ontario 123 Front St W, Unit 103, M5J 2M2
Chipotle recently opened its first new Canadian restaurant in three years in South Surrey, BC. Additional new growth across the country to dictate the need for a new hybrid Development role based in Canada.
The Senior Manager, Design & Construction will oversee all aspects of restaurant design and construction in Canada. Assuring new growth in Canada delivers on all top-level business objectives and is built on-design and on-budget is of critical importance. This role will have the opportunity to influence and work across all business verticals to ensure new stores align with global branding, account for technology innovations, and can be replicated across Canada. This is a unique and very exciting opportunity to join a rapidly expanding organization in one of the highest-visibility and quickest-growing international markets within the business.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Responsible for the overall Construction function in Canada, including Construction’s relationships with any internal CMs, external GCs and vendors.
- Responsible for executing Canadian construction contracts.
- Influence and manage all aspects of restaurant construction in Canada.
- Lead construction strategy & qualify the GC bench in Canada and ensure all standards are met by field based CMs.
- Stay current on Canadian construction regulations.
- Ensure that all construction meets company standards and external regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate w/ Real Estate team on ICP budgets & REAT packages.
- Collaborate w Ops Services team & Managing Director of Canada.
- Collaborate w Facilities team.
- Collaborate w Property Management / Lease Admin / Lease Renewal teams on tenant allowance, coordination of issues with LLs.
- Partner with US-based Center of Excellence team to ensure NROs and any new concepts are built on-time and on-budget.
- Responsible for the local execution of strategic initiatives going forward, including but limited to equipment roll-outs, refreshes, remodels, conversions, etc.
- Manage the design (and construction) of all new restaurants in Canada as per local growth plan/s.
- Ensure all restaurant designs adhere to and celebrate Chipotle design principles and are appropriately branded.
- Lead special and strategic initiatives impacting the restaurant environment and collaborates with the necessary interdisciplinary partners and the US-based Center of Excellence to complete these projects.
- Lead design strategy & manage external design consultants, including qualification of service proposals and review/approval of consultant pay applications and ensure all standards are met by external design consultants.
- Manage the design process to locally source, select, and evaluate all new materials, furniture, fixtures, lighting, and equipment vendors to be consistent with the brand standards.
- Select outside services that ensure accomplishment of the company objectives.
- Partner with US-based Center of Excellence team to ensure new concepts are appropriately translated into roll-out packages.
- Responsible for the overall Design function in Canada, including Design’s relationships with any internal DMs, external design consultants and vendors.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO THE TABLE
To perform this job successfully, you’ll need to be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 10+ years of progressive experience and knowledge in the field of Restaurant and/or Retail Design OR 10+ years of progressive experience and knowledge in building new Restaurants and/or Retail or other types of construction.
- Comprehensive knowledge of restaurant design and construction and the development cycle
- Strong understanding of proposed/potential changes in design and construction regulations, including local accessibility and code regulations .
- Strong knowledge of negotiation process with GCs and sub-contractors and ability to conduct complex development negotiations.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding and experience in Restaurant Operations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Design, Architecture, or Civil Engineering or related field required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Construction Management.
- Ability to influence and work cross-functionally with all departments to deliver positive outcomes and business results.
- Effective communication at all levels of the business.
- Proven leadership skills and a history of managing creative design teams.
- Proven history of managing construction processes and construction teams.
- Be able to work independently on all aspects of restaurant concept design.
- Be able to evaluate components of project costs relative to design & operations.
- Proficiency in applicable design tools (Revit/AutoCAD, Bluebeam, Sketchup, Adobe CC Suite, Hand Sketching).
- Proficiency in applicable project management programs (including Microsoft Office Suite).
- Moderate travel required across Canada.
WHO WE ARE
Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (NYSE: CMG) is cultivating a better world by serving responsibly sourced, classically-cooked, real food with wholesome ingredients without added colors, flavors or other additives. Chipotle has more than 2,800 restaurants as of March 31, 2021 in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Germany and is the only restaurant company of its size that owns and operates all its restaurants. With more than 90,000 employees passionate about providing a great guest experience, Chipotle is a longtime leader and innovator in the food industry. Chipotle is committed to making its food more accessible to everyone while continuing to be a brand with a demonstrated purpose as it leads the way in digital, technology and sustainable business practices.
CULTIVATING A BETTER WORLD
Food served fast doesn’t have to be a typical fast-food experience. Chipotle has always done things differently, both in and out of our restaurants. We're changing the face of fast food, starting conversations, and directly supporting efforts to shift the future of farming and food. We hope you'll join us as we continue to learn, evolve, and shape what comes next on our mission to make better food accessible to everyone.
Primary Location: Ontario - Toronto - 1776 - 123 Front Street-(01776)
1776 - 123 Front Street-(01776)
123 Front St W, Unit 103
Toronto M5J 2M2