Senior Counsel - Privacy & MarketingNewport Beach, California 9998 - 610 Newport Office-(09998) - 610 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach 92660 Apply Now
The Sr. Counsel - Privacy & Marketing is responsible for overseeing the compliance of Chipotle’s business operations with privacy-related laws and regulations, including the development, implementation, and maintenance of privacy-related policies and procedures; together with IT, Internal Audit and other departments, monitoring effectiveness of Chipotle’s privacy policies and procedures and investigating and tracking of privacy-related incidents; and protecting the rights of Chipotle customers, employees and business partners in compliance with federal, state and international laws. The Sr. Counsel – Privacy & Marketing will also provide legal counsel to the Marketing department in relation to advertising and promotions compliance, intellectual property law, and commercial contracting.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Together with Marketing, IT and other stakeholders, define, develop, implement and maintain policies and processes that enable consistent, effective privacy practices which minimize risk and ensure the confidentiality of protected consumer and employee information across all media types. Ensure privacy forms, policies, standards, and procedures are up to date.
- Develop, maintain and advise on privacy program elements such as notices, policies, guidelines, procedures, organizational model, training and awareness, cross-border transfer mechanisms, regulatory notifications and approvals, preparation of Works Council communications and assessment, monitoring, and reporting of program metrics.
- Assist in the development and oversight of privacy training and communication program for employees, including the communication of legal and industry developments and fostering information privacy awareness.
- Work closely with the compliance and IT functions to coordinate practices and policies and collaborate on company-wide initiatives.
- Prepare periodic reports on the privacy program and compliance to the Legal Department, Executive Leadership Team and the Board of Directors.
- Design and oversee processes to respond to data subject access rights requests, deletion requests, and privacy complaints for consumers as well as employees.
- Oversee the privacy incident response process and act as the escalation point of contact within Chipotle for responding to privacy-related incidents and inquiries.
- Work with IT, Marketing, People Experience and other departments on the implementation of information security controls for processes and systems that collect or process personal information.
- Facilitate privacy risk assessments and internal and/or external audits of the privacy program; manage and analyze privacy-related metrics and reports.
- Co-lead (with IT) Chipotle’s internal Security and Privacy Committee.
- Monitor changes in global legal and regulatory privacy requirements and implement changes in Chipotle’s global privacy program to ensure continued compliance.
- Consult with the business and other functional areas on aspects of privacy-by-design.
- Provide input on third-party vendor contracts where personal information is processed, or other privacy considerations are raised.
- Liaise with regulatory authorities, outside counsel and other external privacy stakeholders and advisors as required.
- Provide advice and counsel to Marketing department and others in relation to customer advertising and promotions, contracts with advertising/marketing agencies and other vendors, and intellectual property matters.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO THE TABLE
- 7 to 10 years of experience in privacy law, with additional experience in marketing and promotions, intellectual property, and similar commercial law preferred.
- JD and qualification to practice in California required.
- Deep knowledge and experience with global and country-specific privacy laws, including CCPA, GDPR and PIPEDA.
- Executive presence and strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Must be able to prepare and present to diverse audiences.
- Ability to effectively collaborate cross-functionally, juggle conflicting demands and prioritize deadlines.
- Working knowledge of information technology platforms, privacy-related solutions and records retention practices.
- Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge or theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex situations across multiple functional areas.
- Leadership and expert communication skills to influence, advocate for and drive change and compliance across a global company.
- Strong business acumen and practical approach to problem solving is required.
- Sense of humor a strong plus
Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (NYSE: CMG) is cultivating a better world by serving responsibly sourced, classically-cooked, real food with wholesome ingredients without artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Chipotle had over 2,600 restaurants as of December 30, 2019, in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Germany and is the only restaurant company of its size that owns and operates all its restaurants. With more than 83,000 employees passionate about providing a great guest experience, Chipotle is a longtime leader and innovator in the food industry. Chipotle is committed to making its food more accessible to everyone while continuing to be a brand with a demonstrated purpose as it leads the way in digital, technology and sustainable business practices. Steve Ells, founder and executive chairman, first opened Chipotle with a single restaurant in Denver, Colorado in 1993. For more information or to place an order online, visit
CULTIVATING A BETTER WORLD
Food served fast doesn’t have to be a typical fast food experience. Chipotle has always done things differently, both in and out of our restaurants. We're changing the face of fast food, starting conversations, and directly supporting efforts to shift the future of farming and food. We hope you'll join us as we continue to learn, evolve, and shape what comes next on our mission to make better food accessible to everyone.
Primary Location: California - Newport Beach - 9998 - 610 Newport Office-(09998)
9998 - 610 Newport Office-(09998)
610 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach 92660
Job: Marketing, Legal
Job Posting: Dec. 11, 2019
Job Number: 19031393