Food Safety and Quality Assurance ManagerNewport Beach, California 9998 - 610 Newport Office-(09998) - 610 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach 92660 Apply Now
First things first: Yes, you do get lots of free Chipotle.
Now, the opportunity:
This position will be part of the Food Safety Quality Assurance team responsible for assuring the foods we purchase meet our standards and exceed our expectations. The department is empowered to proactively seek new ideas and to grow the sustainable practices of Chipotle suppliers with increased transparency throughout the supply chain.
The Manager, Ingredients Food Safety and Quality will support the FSQA team by partnering with our suppliers, distributors and others and support the broader teams that are associated with Food Safety, including facilities, training department, SSR. With the primary focus and oversight of a world class restaurant food safety and quality assurance program, this individual is a champion for the enhancement of our quality assurance and food safety of our ingredients, meat and poultry, produce, dairy, beverages, and packaging.
Key areas include: QA and food safety documentation, supplier assessments, third party audit review, raw material supplier assessments, local produce grower assessments, vendor performance tracking and reporting, Quality Inspection Program, and produce, meats & dairy quality evaluations. Supports Chipotle fresh produce, meats & dairy Procurement, animal welfare and Culinary Development team with supplier approval, food evaluation, sensory evaluation and new item rollout.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Manage QA and food safety documentation for fresh produce items, all meats and dairy including specifications, 3rd party audits, labeling, and vendor QA and food safety program documentation
- Conduct food safety assessments at growers and suppliers including GAP assessments of farms and fields and GMP assessments at packing, processing and distribution facilities
- Collect and review third party audits for produce growers, suppliers, packing facilities and distributors
- Work with restaurants and suppliers to investigate and resolve produce, meats and dairy quality and food safety issues; investigating customer incidents related to produce items
- Oversee the fresh produce, meats and dairy Quality Inspection Program (QIP) with Distribution Centers
- Coordinate Stock Recoveries for fresh produce items and communicating with Operations, Distribution, and suppliers
- Develop Vendor Performance tracking and scorecard program for fresh produce, meats and dairy. Analyze and use data collected from Food Quality Reporting system
- Oversee sensory evaluations to ensure vendor compliance with Chipotle culinary standards and specifications
- Support the Culinary and Supply Chain Procurement teams with food testing, sensory evaluations, specification development, shelf-life testing, label approvals, and new menu item tests and roll-outs
- Drive meats & dairy and fresh produce quality improvement programs with vendors, Operations, Training, and Supply Chain teams
- Review restaurant preparation procedures and training materials for adherence to Food Code and other regulatory requirements
- Consult with Operations and Risk Management as needed to meet regulatory requirements and to assist with Health Department or Food Code topics
- Assist Marketing, Training and Customer Service with technical questions about produce items
- Monitor industry best practices for produce quality, safety, and regulatory activities/trends that may impact Chipotle Supply Chain or restaurant operations
- Assist Chipotle QA team with additional quality assurance and food safety responsibilities as needed
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO THE TABLE
- B.S./ M.S./Ph. D. in Food Science or related field with produce quality and food safety background and experience
- Training, certification and experience conducting Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) assessments on-farm and GMP assessments for packing and processing facilities
- 5-7 years experience in fresh produce, meats & dairy Quality and Food Safety for a restaurant company, grower or supplier, food retailer and/or food manufacturer
- Foodservice (restaurant industry) experience preferred
- Ability to work in varying conditions of fields, farms, packing and processing facilities, restaurant, manufacturing, and distribution facilities; some physical work and lifting is required
- Comprehensive knowledge of fresh produce, meats & dairy quality, food safety, regulatory requirements, food science, and food preparation
- Training, certification and experience and strong working knowledge of USDA and FDA regulations, GAPs, GMPs, Food Code, HACCP, SSOPs
- Experience with sensory evaluation of meats & dairy items
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to collect and utilize data to create reports for management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the company and with suppliers
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to multi-task. High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Able to work while traveling as well as in an open office environment
- Be driven to continuously improve, be self-motivated, manage time constraints, and meet deadlines
WHO WE ARE
Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (NYSE: CMG) is cultivating a better world by serving responsibly sourced, classically-cooked, real food with wholesome ingredients without artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Chipotle had nearly 2,500 restaurants as of December 31, 2018 in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Germany and is the only restaurant company of its size that owns and operates all its restaurants. With more than 70,000 employees passionate about providing a great guest experience, Chipotle is a longtime leader and innovator in the food industry. Chipotle is committed to making its food more accessible to everyone while continuing to be a brand with a demonstrated purpose as it leads the way in digital, technology and sustainable business practices. Steve Ells, founder and executive chairman, first opened Chipotle with a single restaurant in Denver, Colorado in 1993. For more information or to place an order online, visit WWW.CHIPOTLE.COM.
CULTIVATING A BETTER WORLD
Food served fast doesn’t have to be a typical fast food experience. Chipotle has always done things differently, both in and out of our restaurants. We're changing the face of fast food, starting conversations, and directly supporting efforts to shift the future of farming and food. We hope you'll join us as we continue to learn, evolve, and shape what comes next on our mission to make better food accessible to everyone.
Primary Location: California - Newport Beach - 9998 - 610 Newport Office-(09998)
9998 - 610 Newport Office-(09998)
610 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach 92660
Job: Quality Assurance
Job Posting: Apr. 16, 2019
Job Number: 19012353